How to Stage Your Home Like a Pro
Second only to pricing your home right, home staging is the most important part of preparing your home for the market. Buyers make snap decisions about a home based on how it looks — if the lawn looks immaculate and the inside looks like something out of an interior decorating magazine, buyers can't help but take notice!
Luckily, you don't have to spend a fortune to boost your home's value. You don't even have to gut your kitchen or give your bathrooms a makeover (though we're more than happy to talk with you about these improvements and recommend a trusted contractor). Instead, focus on the areas that will make the biggest difference at the closing table. Here are a few home staging tips to help you get started.
Show Off Your Green Thumb
- Mow the lawn
- Edge the grass around walkways and driveway
- Spread a new layer of mulch in the garden or natural areas
- Trim the bushes, especially if they block your windows
Add a Splash of Color
- Stick a pot of flowers (or an evergreen tree) on your front porch
- Hang a seasonal wreath on your front door
- Paint your door a cheery, eye-catching color
Welcome Potential Buyers in Style
- Polish or replace your house numbers — make it easy for people to find you!
- Upgrade your outdoor lighting for drama and nighttime visibility
- Power wash your driveway, walkways, and exterior siding or stone
- Purchase a new doormat
Clear Out Any Clutter
- Donate, discard, or store furniture that isn't absolutely necessary in each room
- Clear your kitchen and bathroom counters of all but the essentials
- Store kids' or pets' toys and litter boxes out of sight for showings
Turn Your Home Into a Model
- Replace tarnished or worn door knobs, light switch covers, and other hardware
- Open the blinds or curtains to let the light in (and maximize space)
- Paint your walls — neutral colors appeal to the most buyers
- Remove family photos or heirlooms to depersonalize your home
Try Seasonal Décor
- Spring staging tips: open the windows, add spring blooms to your interior décor, and freshen up your furniture arrangements
- Summer staging tips: add small splashes of color, swap out dark furniture with white, and brighten your home with flowers
- Fall staging tips: place a fresh pumpkin on your porch, fill your home with sweet spices, and hang an autumn wreath from the door
- Winter staging tips: brighten your home with colorful winter palettes, light a fire in the fireplace, and let the sunshine in
- Holiday staging tips: add a festive centerpiece to your table, fill your home with cozy scents, or hang snowflakes from your windows
I've Staged My Home — Now What?
Small home improvements, like the ones we mentioned above, can have a big payoff when selling your home. Why not see what your home is worth now? If you haven't already, ask for a Comparative Market Analysis to learn how much you could sell your home for in today's market. Give us a call at 704-400-4578 if you'd like to learn more about selling your home!