The Secrets to a Stress-Free Move
Let's face it, moving day is no picnic. But this doesn't mean relocating to Charlotte can't be an easier experience. We've found that organization and planning are the keys to a hassle-free move, so we wanted to share a few helpful moving and packing tips with you. If there's anything we can do to help, let us know!
Before Moving Day
Decide What Items to Donate, Sell, or Toss
Don't wait until the last minute to start organizing and decluttering! Before you move to Charlotte, go through your belongings and decide which items you want to bring with you to your new home and which ones you don't.
As for those pieces of furniture, decorations, kitchen appliances, clothes, and other possessions that you're not taking with you, decide which ones are in the best condition to donate or sell. You might want to consider hosting a garage sale or yard sale to get rid of those items — that way, you can have a little extra cash on hand for moving day.
Pack Like a Moving Pro
You don't have to be a moving expert to pack like one. Follow our handy packing tips to ensure your belongings stay safe during transit.
- Reinforce belongings: Use sturdy, reinforced boxes, especially if you're packing fragile items. Covering items in bubble wrap is never a bad idea!
- Pack small and light: Place heavier items in smaller boxes so they're easier to carry.
- Prevent leaks: Are you packing bottles of shampoos, lotions, or other liquids? Remove the tops and cover the openings with cling wrap, then screw the tops back on.
- Label everything: Clearly mark boxes with fragile items, label your boxes by room, or consider color-coding your boxes.
- Get creative: Repurpose socks and scarves to reinforce fragile items. You can also pack dishes, bowls, plates, and other glass objects vertically, rather than stacked.
- Be prepared: Create an "Open Me First" box containing items you need immediately in your new home, such as coffee, toilet paper, soap, medications, tools, and disposable plates and silverware.
Call Everyone You Know
From the insurance company and post office to friends and relatives, make sure that people know that you're moving to Charlotte. Make sure that service providers and loved ones have your updated address. Don't forget to forward your mailing address a couple of weeks before your move!
On Moving Day
Keep Important Information on Hand
While you're packing the moving van, leave important essentials (such as your "Open Me First" box and important documents) for last. Always keep the following items with you or within easy reach:
- valuables, such as jewelry and cash
- first aid supplies and any medications
- medical and financial records
- tool kit with screwdrivers, pliers, a flashlight, and batteries
- list of emergency contacts, including the moving foreman's number
- chargers for phones and electronic devices
Take Care of Those You Love!
There are other moving tips to consider when relocating with pets or kids. We're more than happy to share additional resources to help you move to Charlotte with minimal headaches along the way. Contact us at 704-400-4578 for more tips.
After Moving Day
Clean First, Personalize Second
Before you start unpacking and personalizing your home, give each room a once-over cleaning. Consider vacuuming the floors, cleaning the windows, and wiping down your countertops in the bathrooms and kitchen. After that, it's time to get settled in!
Unpack Room by Room
This is when the time you spent labeling your moving boxes will pay off. First, organize each box of items into their respective rooms, then start unpacking. This will make it much easier to get settled into your new home in Charlotte.
Enjoy Your New Home!
You're all settled in! If we can be of any help after your move, just give us a call. We're residents of the Charlotte area as well as local real estate agents, so we can offer you recommendations about great restaurants and fun things to do near your new home.
Let Us Help You Move to Charlotte!
Whether you just learned about your relocation or are actively searching for homes, we can assist you with all the details. Contact us and let's talk about your plans.